Monday, September 22, 2008

Getting Back to Normal and Visiting Dallas

Abby helping clean-up the hurricane debris in our front yard. I wish I had gotten a picture of our friends who brought their whole family to help us!
Watching Jennifer's Jake play soccer for the Dallas Texans. Uncle Matt O. was so nice to provide the whole gang with donuts during the game. It was fun to see the Texans win 5-0!
Millie and David had a great time with each other.
Every time Jane saw Grammie she would call out "Hi, Gammy!"
Abby and Emma taking a break in the shade
The girls loved the playhouse (nicely lighted and air-conditioned) at their cousins house. Abby, especially, loved playing hostess at pretend tea parties.

Finally, fortunately, things are starting to get more back to normal. School started up again after being off for a week, our church building got power last night, the stores are again stocking produce, the wreckage has been heaped in nice piles by the curb (we're so grateful for our friends from down the street who came over and helped us clear up the debris from our yard!). I still can't believe that there are quite a few people without power and feel for those who haven't even been able to make it back into their homes yet.

After feeling crazed with cabin fever last week, the girls and I drove up to Dallas to spend the weekend with my sister's family. My grandma and aunt were also visiting from SLC and it was wonderful to be with all of them! The girls enjoyed their cousins so much -- especially in the pool and the playhouse -- and I enjoyed the adult conversation. It's so nice to be close (relatively) to family.

10 comments:

Christine said...

oh how fun! Family is so great. I am glad that things are starting to get back to normal.

Verity said...

Hurray! You definitely deserved a break. :)

Leslie said...

So great to have family time. I'm so happy that you have friends to help with the Ike aftermath!

Melissa Markham said...

Amy - I'm supposed to be grading papers, but catching up on blog reading is much more fun. Great posts! Grammie looks great! I'm glad you got to see her. Way to go preparing for and surviving Hurrican Ike. I'm so glad you guys are okay. Sammie was supposed to be there interviewing with Exxon. Yes, they are courting him heavily. That's all I'll say... :)

Kelley said...

Welcome back. Thanks for helping us tonight. Wasn't the broadcast amazing!

Southwick Family said...

I've been thinking about you so much. I'm glad that some sort of normalcy has returned to your lives. I hope that Mark is able to hurry home!

Kirbell said...

Glad you are all okay! So great you have family relatively close! I wish I were relatively closer to you!

Meta said...

WOW, your hurricane post is amazing. I can't imagine experiencing Ike so close to home. Glad things are getting back to normal for your family!

Rachel Anderson said...

We're just catching up with your last few blog entries.... so glad you survived the hurricane! We hope your back is mending and that the ladies are doing okay while Mark is gone! xo

Nathan said...

Glad to hear things are going well with both of you.