Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The Trip

On June 27th, we packed our two cars to the hilt and took off for Texas (where the rest of our belongings had been for a month). We were a little nervous about how the girls would do during our three day drive, but they handled it remarkably well. For the older girls, this was due mostly to fact that we finally broke down and invested in a portable DVD player and some new movies that kept them riveted. My favorite moment was when we stopped to get gas late one night and I looked back at Millie who was watching the end of "The Little Princess" when Sarah is reunited with her father and there were tears streaming down Millie's face. It was so tender!

We stayed the first night in Knoxville, TN after traveling through all of Virginia (southern VA has some of the most beautiful countryside I've ever seen), forged through Alabama and onto Hattiesville, Mississippi the next night, and after attending church in Baton Rouge, LA, we rolled into Houston along with the most terrific rain storm I've ever encountered. We had to pull over to wait it out and when I got out of the car to check something I was soaked to the bone instantly. It was quite something.

Mark and I enjoyed seeing some of the south, since it was unchartered territory for both of us. Most fascinating to me was driving through stretches of swamp/bayou in Louisiana. Virginia and Tennessee struck us as the most beautiful. Since I had left my phone charger in VA and Mark's had gotten misplaced in our luggage, we had fun communicating via walkie-talkie. And we were especially happy when the whole trek was over!

2 comments:

Christine said...

Finally! I have been dying to know how you have been! I want pictures. Are you in your home yet?

stephanie said...

Wow, I'm so glad you found me. It sounds like you've gone through some major upheaval. I was born in Housten TX and then moved to Laffeyette, LA, near Baton Rouge.