Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Exploring . . .

The girls love their new friends (here at the Miller Outdoor Theater). So many little girls and somehow they all love princesses, swimming, and crafty things.
I love my new friends Heidi and Catherine. It's been so wonderful to get to know them!
Abby comparing her "wing span" to that of an eagle at the Houston Zoo.

Millie-bird

A cute little prairie dog.
Melba and Sammie -- two very fun prairie dogs

Millie and the goat she wouldn't have minded taking home with her.

Sno cone face

Jane running through the sprinklers at the water park.
Jane has just started making this face whenever she fancies that her feelings are hurt (for example, when we take something away from her that is not good for her to have, but which she thinks is fine for her to have). It's hilarious (especially considering the occasions when she pulls it out), but when we laugh (which we frankly cannot help doing) she takes it seriously and starts to cry so we've had to restrain ourselves.

Millie showing off some of her faux play dough food (probably inspired by Jenni B, her primary teacher in C-ville)

Dripping-wet girls after making a break for the sprinklers right at bedtime -- they seem to be full of ways to evade getting to bed.


So far we've been doing a very little exploring of what this area has to offer, but what we've experienced so far, we've really enjoyed. We are enjoying our neighborhood pool on especially hot afternoons. A few weeks ago, we went with a group from our church to see a production of Disney songs at the Miller Outdoor Theater downtown where we sat on blankets on the grass to enjoy the show. We have also had our first visitors -- Hurray! We were honored to have my life-long friend, Melba, and her husband Sammie (who has been interning in Austin this summer), come for a weekend. It was so wonderful to catch up and to experience the Houston Zoo with them. It really was an incredible zoo and fortunately had a lot of tree cover on the walkways so that the heat was only mostly insufferable rather than completely so :). Regardless, we had a wonderful time and a wonderful weekend with the Markhams!

11 comments:

Christine said...

LOVE that face that Jane is making

Nathan said...

At last! A new post that I've been waiting for! I'm glad that you guys are getting to do some house projects too...

We miss you guys and hope things are going well. I hope my travels take me to Houston again so I can say hello.

Leslie said...

I've been out of town for almost the entire month of July! It's been so fun to catch up on your move, new house and other fun happenings. We moved here to AZ in July last year...the heat was overwhelming, but this summer...it doesn't seem so bad. Thanks for the wonderful pics and great updates. Love ya Aimes!

Cassi said...

You guys made it. Looks like you had quite the adventure. Your girls are adorable. How fun to have so much space. I hope the heat doesn't treat you too badly.

Kelley said...

I'm so excited you have a blog. It will be fun to see the "Happenings" in your cute family!

Kelley said...

P.S. ~ Great Blog Title! Great minds really do think alike you know :)

nate and hill said...

I cannot believe how fast your girls are growing!!! Oh,we miss you guys! Hope things are going well. Your home looks beautiful and you all lood great! If it makes you feel any better Amy, the weather out here has been ridiculously hot and humid so you're not missing out on much! I wish you were closer -I just finished reading Jane Eyre for the first time and LOVED it! I knew you'd be just the person to discuss it with me! Take care. Hill

Amy & Mark said...

Hill, we miss you, too!! I'm so glad that you enjoyed Jane Eyre! I would love to talk about it with you. Have you seen the recent BBC version yet? It is so beautiful, you'll love it!

Dan and Louise said...

I've had a great time catching up on your family. I'm glad the move has been relatively smoothe. I'm impressed as ever by your resourcefulness. I think my favorite thing is that you and Mark found odd jobs on Craigslist to keep you busy until September. Dan will get a kick out of that. I think Mark introduced us to Craigslist - and we are grateful!

Rachel Anderson said...

We are so excited that you are settling in to Houston life. We love seeing the pics of your adorable girls!

Anonymous said...

Hope you love Houston - I have two cousins there - Dan and Heather Swendsen, and Clark and Anna Low - okay I know its a big place with lots of members, but you never know. Your girls are so cute and have gotten so big. I see so much of both you and Mark in all of them.